• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Playdead419
Junior Boarder

Re: phish

#32393 3 years, 2 months ago
i haven't been able to get into them one of my friends will always come over and tell me to put on some phish or string cheese, and i just don't see what people find so amazing about it, all it sounds like to me is nonsense. they don't have those epic jams that take you places like grateful dead and widespread panic do. at least that's my opinion
Chadwell
Junior Boarder

#32398 3 years, 2 months ago
Interesting, thanks for pointing that out about the Green Crew.

SCI definitely does not have the jams. Their jams are made to "feel good in the moment," and possess little to no staying power. Really, check out Live Bait Vol. 04. If it does nothing for you, I will say no more.
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Chadwell.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#32422 3 years, 2 months ago
phish is so weak they dont even bother playin ampitheaters out west cause they know they can barely sell out theatres out here, cause we have sucha thriving live music scene that noone will go see sub-par music just cause "the lot is fun,or you can make bank" thats a lame reason to go to any show.
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

#32428 3 years, 2 months ago
Iono what some people got against phish. I dig em fully.Like FULLY. lol. I think it has to do with the whole ridiculousness of comparing them to the dead. Ive heard a lot of the same stuff bout other bands. For example Umphreys Mcgee. Great jamband. Compared to gd, but nothing like it in the least. Never seen phish live though, so i guess i dont have much of legit opinion on that area of the subject.

P.S. Any Galactic fans on the board?? =-)

P.P.S. Prooooobly gonna be my last post for a couple days. Thnx everyone for their support. Luv ya all =-)
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

#32431 3 years, 2 months ago
DeadHead420 wrote:
Iono what some people got against phish. I dig em fully.Like FULLY. lol. I think it has to do with the whole ridiculousness of comparing them to the dead. Ive heard a lot of the same stuff bout other bands. For example Umphreys Mcgee. Great jamband. Compared to gd, but nothing like it in the least. Never seen phish live though, so i guess i dont have much of legit opinion on that area of the subject.

P.S. Any Galactic fans on the board?? =-)

P.P.S. Prooooobly gonna be my last post for a couple days. Thnx everyone for their support. Luv ya all =-)

yeah, don't get me wrong i do like Phish. just doesn't bring up the same emotion for me. the fans i could do without, the lyrics are on the silly sophmoric side, and the jams lack direction. i do think they are talented and musically very good. just not my scene. i do also like Umphrey's, Galactic, and sometimes .moe and Panic. The Dead is just where its at as far as vibe, community, songs, etc... I don't know how to explain in words. Just such an emotional connection with the whole package...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince, DeadHead420
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

#32433 3 years, 2 months ago
I waw Phish once at the Vogue Theatre in Vancouver back in 94 with some friends from Dead tour who were always raving on and on about PHish. I think they are ok, but just never got into their tunes. I always found the worst element of Dead tour seems to get sucked into Phish. I will never forget when Phish came to Van in 99 and my wife and I were walking through the lot. Some teenage granola girl gave me a very dismissive pfft when we were talking in the lot. I laughed and said, what..you've been on tour for 15 minutes now. they are overrated fo sho.
mjwhitegd
Junior Boarder

#32439 3 years, 2 months ago
I personally love Phish. While I have seen many more Dead-related shows (around 45 between Furthur, the Dead, Phil and friends, ratdog, etc.), I have seen Phish much less (around 13 times). I find the jamming styles of Phish to be much different than the Dead. I personally have found great jams in every year Phish has performed, even in the dreaded 2003 and 2004 shows! I just caught the first two nights at Bethel and both shows in Holmdel as well and I think they are really on fire this tour. I can see how Phish is not for everyone though; they are really into ambience and extremely repetitive funk grooves, such as the tune "Ghost." I think alot of the focus on the Dead, aside from their incredible jamming, is the traditional songwriting styles (the combination of folk, rock, bluegrass that Garcia and Hunter understood perfectly). While I find Phish to be great songwriters (both in terms of music and lyrics) I think the focus is definitely on their jams. The songs are more vehicles to arrive at a dreamy state of mind that can only occur after persistence... sometimes it takes a while for a really good jam to form... sometimes it happens right away... and unfortunately sometimes it never happens at all. Anyway, just my thoughts on Phish... I'm loving them and Furthur right now! As well as a whole lot of other bands. But if anyone is interested in hearing a really sick Phish jam that is highly melodic, and goes "somewhere," I HIGHLY recomend the "Sand" from Camden in 2009.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#32440 3 years, 2 months ago
I love 'em. Always have. My first was the '93 run at the Roxy in ATL and it felt like a club. I'm in the middle of the floor, just a few yards from the stage, diggin it, losin it when the jams would get out there, start hollerin just to let it out like we did/do at Dead shows; the kids around me would turn around like "what's he hollerin for" kinda thing. Whatever. Most the crowd just stood and stared, barely swaying much less dancin. Lame, thought I.....

No matter, I've always dug 'em. Then again, I've always dug Zappa, who they owe a helluva lot more to than anybody else.

I saw 'em at VA Beach in '98, three years to the day of Jerry's passing. "Terrapin" breakout, and the first formal acknowledgement, y'dig. Tears everywhere.

The Phish scene turned to shit tho. The bigger the band got, the shittier the crowds got. Turned into a fucking fratboy party after awhile. Nitrous, extacy everywhere, cocaine, egos, egos and more egos. Last Phish I saw was Oswego '99. Never felt so harshed. Ever. Fuck those kids. I will always love the songs, the jams, but will never, ever go near that scene again.

You guys, on the other hand, you Furthur peeps, my peeps, y'all are pretty damn cool!! I think I'll keep ya's!!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#32448 3 years, 2 months ago
I agree, the band is a great bunch of musicians and are very creative. But for me the vibe at the show was totally different then a furthur show in a bad way. I guess they just dont touch my soul the way the GD and furthur do. I guess i must have expected to much from them. They are good, i will catch a show when there in town but thats about it.
MWoods
Junior Boarder

#32459 3 years, 2 months ago

>>>I've been listening to some Umphrey's and Railroad Earth, searching for the sound. Although I enjoy bluegrass, I'm not sure RE is going to do it for me. And Umphrey's sounds a bit harsh.... but I will withhold judgement until/if I see them live.[/quote]

Don't know much about Umphrey's but RRE is the best band going in my opinion. Just can't say enough good things about them. I am a life-long Hobo for sure. RRE is GREAT!

As far as Phish goes I just caught my first Phish show this spring (there seems to be a lot of that going around amongst us deadheads)... I was pleased with the show. I, like many others, used to find the lyrics of Phish songs a bit silly and that dissuaded me from getting into them. But when I was at the show I had an epiphany: perhaps they are not trying to teach me anything. Perhaps they are just trying to have fun! When I let go and let myself just enjoy the sound sculptures they create I had a blast.

And as far as the crowd goes... I loved them. Had a great conversation with a kid wearing a Teletubbies helmut (the yellow one). He was obviously tripping hard... but he was a good kid and a kind heart. I am glad to see the young-in's carrying the torch of weirdness.

I am a little turned off by the hearing the distain for the Phish crowd I have read here. For deadheads, a people who have always considered themselves to be so tolerant and open-minded, I hear a lot of hating on others who don't enjoy the same music as you in this thread. Seems more petty than hetty.

So, while I don't see myself jumping on Phish tour quite yet, I will definitely see them again. They play good, ENERGETIC, psychedelic music and I had a great time with friends at the show. What more could you ask from a band? Slow, plodding versions of songs that have been around for 40 years? Oops... took it too far, huh?
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by MWoods.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chadwell
Time to create page: 3.04 seconds