• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

phish

#32255 2 years, 10 months ago
not getting into detail tonight will post more tomorrow but saw em tonight at darien lake---it was pretty crappy---first time i've given them a try after getting so bored last summer at a few shows....there is too much nonsensical pointless jamming---the jams go nowhere, it takes 12 minutes of aborted ventures to yield 1 1/2 minutes of killer material, makes for a rough show...maybe i caught the worst night of the tour i don't know, it just wasn't there...still say mike gordon is the driving force behind that band--props cactus you fucking tore that weekapaug groove up

how many days til bethel? well the ramble with phil on the 17th will tide me over
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
gratefulpanda
Junior Boarder

Re: phish

#32257 2 years, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:
not getting into detail tonight will post more tomorrow but saw em tonight at darien lake---it was pretty crappy---first time i've given them a try after getting so bored last summer at a few shows....there is too much nonsensical pointless jamming---the jams go nowhere, it takes 12 minutes of aborted ventures to yield 1 1/2 minutes of killer material, makes for a rough show...maybe i caught the worst night of the tour i don't know, it just wasn't there...still say mike gordon is the driving force behind that band--props cactus you fucking tore that weekapaug groove up

how many days til bethel? well the ramble with phil on the 17th will tide me over

yeah man, i hear ya! i was into phish back in the mid 90's, but then it just fizzled for me. the Grateful Dead always had more structure with songs. some noodling, of course, but not to the extent of what phish did. then again, i wasn't old enough back in the early 70's when the Dead used to play 45-55 minute "Dark Star" and "Lovelight"! but i think a common that runs through us fellow Deadheads, the phish stuff is too noodly. and the scene too young for me. i quickly became turned off by the scene and these kids who called themselves "hippies."

funny i just saw some live Phish tunes in Chicago, and though the music was very very good and well played, the whole scene and music kinda just annoyed me. i wanted the good ol Grateful Dead back! can't wait to be on the road again. now this is some music i will follow to the ends of the earth. but really to me, apples and oranges.
milesgone
Junior Boarder
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

#32268 2 years, 10 months ago
Last year. The charlotte show was great, July 3rd the next night was a snoozer, then July 4th the next night was great.
I saw only the snoozer.. Hate to spend money and get the crap show out of the three.

I Know what they are capable of, I just had the bad luck last year.

honestly, its the fans I dislike the most. not all of them.. but there are many that ruin it.. its distracting.

that being said.. I don't go to phish shows anymore due to them.

I have been seeing phish since 1991 and all the ppl at the shows today are much much younger than I am and don't know how jazzy they used to be.. Now its just Funk/Rock.

like a gerbil running in his excercise machine.
or a music box being cranked by a monkey.
mattgill
Junior Boarder
Atleast I'm enjoying the ride.

#32269 2 years, 10 months ago
Im with you man, i saw phish on the 31st at PNC. They are a good band and i enjoy their music and i always hear the phans saying how godly they are. So i decided to check them out and honestly wasnt that impressed. I was at the point in the show where i couldnt even dance and throw my arms in the air... there was just no energy at all like their is at a furthur show. I was standing there saying ha these guys aren't better then furthur let alone the grateful dead. I did go with an open mind too and i did enjoy myself but honestly i wouldnt follow them around and pay most of money on them like i do with furthur.

P.S. @miles yea man i really dont like the fans either, theyre are different then fans at a furthur show. There are alot more drunken idiots at a phish show then a furthur show for sure. When i was at PNC waters were 4.50 and i had it next to my stuff on the lawn and this dumbass comes running down the lawn and kicks my water and all my stuff and is like oh sorry man.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by mattgill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: milesgone
strangerinboulder
Platinum Boarder

#32274 2 years, 10 months ago
Musically they are good. Seeing them in person is painful. I am all for a good jam, as long as it takes you somewhere. One word...OVERRATED.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#32369 2 years, 10 months ago
Funny you say this cause I was listening to Live in Brooklyn driving around last night, and I just couldn't find a jam I could get into. Maybe I need to be in a certain mood.
Chadwell
Junior Boarder

#32383 2 years, 10 months ago
I believe you folks may be listening to the wrong stuff. I understand the distaste for some of the fans or some of the music, but I recommend heading over to livephish.com and grabbing the free compilation titled "Live Bait Vol. 04." It's a collection of tunes from previous summer tours that was hand picked by the band's archivist. Now THAT is good Phish. I think most of you will at least appreciate the music within.

To OP, I'm listening to the Darien show right now, and I believe you did get a clunker. Show possesses no flow whatsoever and negligible improv. From other accounts, it appears to have largely been a "request" show where large chunks of the setlist were thrown in due to the band picking random signs in the crowd. There were some cool bustouts, but the pot of slop it created wasn't worth it. For good, recent Phish, I recommend checking out the shows from this past weekend. Much more intricate/complicated song selection, much better flow, and MUCH better improvisation.

Also, captaintony, you mention Live in Brooklyn. That was a pretty weak show as well that is largely heralded as the worst year yet of Phish. No cohesiveness in play due to far too many drugs on stage.
Last Edit: 2 years, 10 months ago by Chadwell.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#32386 2 years, 10 months ago
I heard a fairly crappy stream of the Darian Lake show last night, but the playing sounded good.

I'm with people on the phans.....they are a peculiar lot. More yuppie than hippie and seems like one upsmanship is the game.

Saw Phish at Hershey for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I think Phish in small doses is a good thing for me.

I've been listening to some Umphrey's and Railroad Earth, searching for the sound. Although I enjoy bluegrass, I'm not sure RE is going to do it for me. And Umphrey's sounds a bit harsh.... but I will withhold judgement until/if I see them live.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#32387 2 years, 10 months ago
To US Soccer

One site said the tunes were picked by the Green Crew, who cleans up after shows.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#32389 2 years, 10 months ago
I've tried again and again, live and on tape. Both the fans and the music ain't got no heart, at least for me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince, gratefulpanda
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds